TIPS TO ENSURE THE LARGEST/HEAVIEST MOVING OBJECT IN YOUR HOME IS SAFE AND SECURE DURING JUNE – GARAGE DOOR SAFETY MONTH
As the American home has evolved over the years, so too has the garage — both in the way it looks as well as its newfound functionality as the main entranceway to the home. In fact, more than 70 percent of homeowners enter and exit their home through the garage door now, relying on it as the new front door.
Since the garage door now plays such a key role in many homeowners’ daily lives, the local professionals at Raynor Overhead Door, Inc in Worcester want to make sure that this vital entrance is safe and secure during the high garage traffic month of June. Teaming up with LiftMaster®, the largest manufacturer of professionally installed garage door openers, we want to offer easy-to-follow tips for maintaining the safety and security of this access point during June’s “National Garage Door Safety Month.”
“June is the perfect time to pay more attention to your garage door and opener since the garage often becomes the hub of activity for many families this time of year,” notes Patrick McGlone, owner. “We realize that this community ramps up their usage of the garage door and opener during the summer months. With all the added ups and downs, now is the time to check to make sure everything is in working order with your door and opener and the team at Raynor Overhead Door is here to help.”
With the additional traffic running through the garage, National Garage Door Safety Month is the ideal time to perform a periodic safety inspection of your garage door, especially those equipped with automatic operators. Check out the tips on how to get your garage in gear this time of year or call us at 508-72-4677 see if your garage is ready for the summer.
Everything from the Garage Door to the Floor
- • Maintenance. To keep the garage door properly maintained and functioning safely, be sure to keep all moving parts of the door clean and lubricated, including the steel rollers.
- • Balance. To check balance, start with the door closed and pull the opener release mechanism so you can maneuver the door by hand. If the door is balanced (properly spring-loaded and running freely on its tracks), you should be able to lift the door smoothly without much effort and it should stay open about three or four feet above the floor.
- • Safety Reverse. Since 1993, all automatic openers manufactured for the U.S. must include a safety reversing feature such as infrared sensors or “photo eyes.” These sensors are installed near the floor on either side of the garage door opening. Once the invisible laser beam between the two sensors is broken by an obstruction, the door reverses automatically.
If your opener lacks a similar safety reversing feature, it’s time to get a new opener.
- • The Six-Inch Rule. The photo eyes mentioned above should not be installed higher than six inches above the garage floor. If the eyes are installed higher, a person or pet could get under the beam and not be detected by the photo eyes.
- • Sensitive Technology. Test your door’s sensitivity this month by placing a two-inch thick piece of wood or a roll of paper towels in the path of the door before closing it. If the garage door does not automatically reverse and retract back to the open position, then the opener needs to be adjusted.
- • Prepare for Weather. Be prepared as summer heat and storms turns to summer outages. Once power is lost to the home, an automatic garage door opener will also be impacted. Ensure your opener is equipped with a Battery Backup system which continue to operate LiftMaster openers for an additional 20 up and down cycles. So, even during unforeseen outages, homeowners have peace-of-mind that their main entranceway to the home reliably opens and closes.
Organizing the Inside Out
- • The garage usually tops the basement or attic for clutter and debris. Keep it clear of oily and greasy rags as they are easily flammable and can ignite spontaneously. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby.
- • It may seem like you’re adding to the mess, but grass clippings are great for keeping dust under control in your garage. Next time you mow your lawn, sprinkle your fresh lawn clippings on the garage floor then sweep it clean.
- • Better organization of lawn equipment, sporting goods and bicycles also is crucial to a presentable garage. Install shelves and hooks to lift things off the floor and maintain order. Get in the habit of putting things back where they belong after use and regularly sweeping up.
While great strides have been made in garage door opener safety, it is still important to know about the heaviest door in your household and how to maintain it. To contact us call 508-752-4677 or visit www.raynor4doors.com.
Top 5 Garage Door Issues
It’s funny how many garage doors we repair that could have been easily dealt with by regular preventative maintenance. We’ve created a top five list to help you prevent costly issues you may have to handle.
Through out the life of a garage door, rollers can move up and down the track system thousands of times. And just like tires on a car they wear out. To prevent costly repairs due to roller breakage, replace your rollers every 5-10 years.
The garage door, for most households, is the highest traffic area of the home. With kids, grandparents and pets using it as the main entrance it can be easy to bump, nudge or even remove the safety sensors on the garage door. If your garage door doesn’t close, the first thing you should check is your safety sensors and adjust accordingly. If you can hold constant contact on the wall button to close your door, you know photo eyes are your problem!
Lubricated operator/motor rail
Not all garage door openers need to be lubricated but the ones that do should be done so every 1-2 years. Screw drive operator rails need regular lubrication.
Over time your garage door motor can lose some of the strength it has. A simple solution is adjusting the limit switches on your machine. The adjustment can be located on the side or back of most motors.
Garage door hinge lubrication
Lubricating your garage door hinges is a great way to keep them from breaking do to regular use. Simply take some lubricant, such as 100% silicone spray, and lightly spray them once a year for a quieter running door
I hope these simple solutions will help you in your garage door maintenance issues. If you need any more advise contact us at 508-752-4677!
Don’t forget, each spring we offer our 18pt Preventative Maintenance Special for only $75! This full check up will make sure your door is running properly all year long & avoid costly emergency repair bills!
LiftMaster, the number one brand of professionally installed garage door openers and access solutions, unveils the first wave of its next generation of feature-rich residential garage door openers and accessories at IDA 2011. Sporting an updated, sleek exterior, the new units are not only more aesthetically-pleasing on the outside but smarter on the inside. Driven by advancing technology and designed with capabilities greater than ever before, this innovative offering of residential openers are enabled by LiftMaster’s patented MyQ™ technology, the two-way communication system that allows these advanced units to open and close the garage door as well as manage other household devices from anywhere in the world.
This groundbreaking technology creates exceptional opportunities for professional installing dealers to maximize profits through selling up and providing their customers with the safest garage door opener on the market. The first entrants in the new lineup of residential garage door openers are the high-performing belt drive unit within the Elite Series™ (Model 8550) and a durable, reliable chain drive unit within the Premium Series (Model 8360). Additional new models will become available in 2012.
As the inaugural units of the new line of the LiftMaster family of residential garage door openers, both the LiftMaster Elite Belt Drive 8550 unit and the Premium Chain Drive 8360 unit are powered by
highly-efficient DC motors and both come standard with LiftMaster’s fully integrated Battery Backup system. Now expanded to both the Elite and Premium Series lines, dealers can provide reliable battery
backup benefits to their customers and meet each of their residential access and budget needs.
Outfitted with numerous features that benefit professionals during both installation and maintenance checks, LiftMaster integrated the new line of garage door openers with an enhanced logic board that features Security+® 2.0 technology. This superior, multi-frequency, narrow band radio system increases the ability to offer more safety and security features while helping to provide greater radio range performance to automatically find the right frequency for each installation, every time. The radio system within the new garage door openers greatly reduces any source of interference and increases the range of the unit.
In addition to state-of-the-art radio systems, setting the force and electronic travel limits has never been easier now that these units have a built-in automatic guidance feature, which means less time on the job adjusting them manually. During installation, these openers’ limit and force settings are programmed once by the touch of a button and will automatically readjust to adapt to weather and environmental conditions, requiring less maintenance and fewer callbacks to dealers for simple readjustments.
Coupled with the standard battery backup feature and the new Security+2.0 radio system, each of the units are also strengthened with MyQ™ technology, expanding the use of the garage door
opener beyond only operating the garage door through an advanced, two-way communication system. Outfitted with two separate radios – the “worker” radio (Security+2.0 which uses 310, 315 or 390 MHz)
and the “communication” radio (MyQ technology, which uses 900 MHz) — these openers have the ability to manage and activate other MyQ-enabled devices within the home, such as turning lights on or
off or operating the garage door with the remote or from anywhere in the world using a smartphone or personal computer, depending on the type of LiftMaster accessory enabled by MyQ™ technology
plugged into the household device. This pioneering capability allows dealers to offer today’s homeowners an entirely new level of affordable home activation as opposed to an expensive, hardwired home automation system.
“At LiftMaster, we are raising expectations through our new product line which represents the new standard in garage door openers and accessories,” states Ken Roehl, vice president sales and
marketing, LiftMaster. “This new generation of residential garage door openers will provide professional installing dealers with the ability to realize maximum profit potential by creating more upsell
opportunities, demonstrating greater product differentiation through unique designs and the advantage of improved reliability that reduce callbacks.”
Raising Expectations for Homeowners
To elevate convenience for homeowners and to provide dealers with layers of features to differentiate themselves in the marketplace, LiftMaster added Timer-to-Close functionality to the two new models that allows end-users to customize the settings for when their door will automatically close, whether one, five or 10 minutes after the door operates, ensuring their door is never left open by accident. Since the new line of LiftMaster garage door openers enabled by MyQ technology and the Timer-to-Close feature allows the garage door to close without being in the “line of site” of the door, these units comply with UL325 codes; UL325 requires audible and visual warnings to trigger 10 seconds before the door is about to close, again reinforcing LiftMaster’s commitment to providing the safest garage door openers available.
“Equipped with an exhaustive list of safety and security features and the ability to operate the door as well as other household items from the comfort of your home, office, gym or even in another country, the entire LiftMaster team is standing by to assist our dealers in the training, installing and sellin opportunities of this new remarkably smart line of products,” continues Roehl. “Truly a team effort, from research and development, engineering, product management, marketing, sales and collaboration with our dealers moving forward, we are thrilled to be introducing this extremely innovative line of
residential garage door openers to our dealer partners at IDA this year.”